- I planned and booked a three-leg, two-week trip to Chile (including internal flights), so I feel like a travel champion. Why Chile? My girlfriend and I were watching Netflix’s “Chef’s Table” documentary, the one with Francis Mallman. The food made us salivate. And, as usual when we see breathtaking natural beauty, we exclaimed, “What a shithole.” That’s really all it takes for us to want to travel: food in pretty places. Argentina was the original idea, but Chile turned out to be an adventure traveler’s dream: Motorcycle and astronomy tours in the desert! Whitewater rafting! Glacier kayaking! Hiking in Torres del Paine! (None of this backpacking/camping business, though. I grew up in roach motels and mobile homes, and I am willing to spend money for a clean bed, hot running water, and a functional, private toilet.) We even get to see some penguins near Punta Arenas and can avoid the whole “waves of terror” situation (and high prices) of traveling to Antarctica on a boat. Empanadas and wine and fun times galore. I’m super fucking gleeful and can think of pretty much nothing else, which is bad because I have to wait several months before we depart.
- After flailing about for a month or so, I remembered my strategy for second drafts: Read the first draft, note all the pros/cons/disasters, and then hammer out the timelines in Excel over and over until the story makes more sense. I always forget this. But it’s the one thing that gets me unstuck after a first draft because my first drafts contain confusing timelines that junk up the works.
- I had a really great appointment with my new tax guy. I feel freed from the burdens of tax on a combination of 1099s and W2s. Bonus: Because I was organized and came prepared, he entered me into his raffle. The top prize is a gift certificate to Capital Grille. Would it be wrong to ask folks on Facebook to pray for me?
- Finished The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing. It’s a lovely and heartbreaking story. Am now diving into What Belongs to You.
- My cat, Bob, is currently snuggled up next to me on the couch. Everyone who meets Bob loves Bob. They say, “He is a great cat.” They are correct. His breath, however, is terrible.
- I really need to learn how to write book reviews that go beyond “lovely” and “heartbreaking” and “yay” and “awesome.” Jesus. Get your shit together, Kel.
- Today is a high holiday in our house due to the Oscars telecast. But I’m not all that excited about the nominees. (Though, I loved Carol and Spotlight and plan to root for them.) The lack of diversity pisses me off. It’s fucking 2016. Get your shit together, Hollywood.
Image credit: “Vast”
by Eduardo Fonseca Arraes